ISSN (Print) - 0012-9976 | ISSN (Online) - 2349-8846

A+| A| A-

From 50 Years Ago: Defining Backwardness

Editorial from Volume XIV, No 40, October 6, 1962.

By an order passed in July this year, the State Government [of Mysore] reserved more than two-thirds of the seats in medical and engineering colleges for students belonging to backward classes and Scheduled Castes and Tribes...

…The Mysore Government’s order set apart 50 per cent of the seats in medical and engineering colleges in the State for backward classes in addition to 15 per cent for Scheduled Castes and 3 per cent for Scheduled Tribes. It divided backward classes into two categories: “backward classes” and “more backward classes”. Eighty-one communities were defined as “backward classes’’ and 28 per cent of the seats were reserved for them. “More backward classes” included about 135 communities and had 22 per cent of the seats reserved for them. As a result some 90 per cent of the population of the State came under the categories backward classes and Scheduled Castes and Tribes, and had 68 per cent of the seats reserved for them, leaving only 32 per cent of the seats to be filled by open competition.

To read the full text Login

Get instant access

New 3 Month Subscription
to Digital Archives at

₹826for India

$50for overseas users

Comments

(-) Hide

EPW looks forward to your comments. Please note that comments are moderated as per our comments policy. They may take some time to appear. A comment, if suitable, may be selected for publication in the Letters pages of EPW.

Back to Top