ISSN (Print) - 0012-9976 | ISSN (Online) - 2349-8846

A+| A| A-

Meghalaya Agitation

The Soviet Union's trade with Western Europe increased from 28 per cent of its total trade in 1978 to 32 per cent in 1979, or from 19,7 billion roubles in 1978 to 25.7 billion roubles in 1979. (Incidentally, the 4 percentage point increase was at the expense of of the Comecon countries whose share in the Soviet Union's overall trade fell from 60 per cent in 1978 to 56 per cent in 1979.) Therefore, any restriction of its trade with Western Europe would adversely affect the Soviet Union, especially as the Soviet Union's requirement of high technology from Western Europe is very acute. But there are many inhibitions both in the US and in West Europe which make such restriction difficult, if not impossible.

To read the full text Login

Get instant access

New 3 Month Subscription
to Digital Archives at

₹826for India

$50for overseas users

Comments

(-) Hide

EPW looks forward to your comments. Please note that comments are moderated as per our comments policy. They may take some time to appear. A comment, if suitable, may be selected for publication in the Letters pages of EPW.

Back to Top